Manuscript Preparation, Copyediting, and Proofreading

Q. Can you use the “transpose” proofreader’s mark for nonadjacent letters in a word? For instance, if I wanted to indicate that the a and e should be transposed in the word instenca (i.e., instance misspelled)? Thanks for your help!

A. Yes: to transpose the letters, start at the baseline on the left side of the e, draw up and over the e and back down to the baseline on its other side, then draw along the bottom of nc, then up and over the a and back to the baseline. Write tr with a circle around it in the margin.