Citation, Documentation of Sources

Q. I’m trying to directly quote a source that includes a word typed in bold lettering, but the bold word is rather distracting within my paper. Is there a way for me to unbold the word and cite my alteration of the original text?

A. Yes. Unbold the word and in a note (or in square brackets at the end of the quote) write “Emphasis removed.”