The following policy applies to all web pages of The University of Chicago Press, including but not limited to www.press.uchicago.edu and www.chicagomanualofstyle.org unless otherwise noted.
Our web server log automatically collects and stores information from each site visitor. This information does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store only the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain (for example, yourcompany.com or youruniversity.edu) and IP address (a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are online) from which you access our website.
- The type of browser and operating system you use to access our site, and other details about your software and hardware configurations.
- The date and time you access our site.
- The pages you visit within our site.
- If you linked to our pages from another website, the URL address of that website.
We use this information to manage and improve our website. Some data may be traceable to an individual, but we do not normally seek to identify visitors to the website unless we believe that someone is using our site improperly.
Communication with Users
Through our website, we solicit comments and questions and offer users the opportunity to receive informational or promotional materials, including information about books and services of interest to them. A user who communicates with us for any of these purposes may be asked to provide standard contact information (e.g., name, mailing and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers). We do not disclose this information except as described herein. In some instances we may ask registered users to choose whether to receive e-mail updates about our products and services, and we will honor the choices made. However, notwithstanding a user’s choice, we reserve the right to e-mail customers on occasions when we think it is important.
We collect individually identifiable information from persons who wish to purchase products or subscribe to services via this website, for the following purposes: to complete business transactions, deliver products and services, administer individual accounts, provide customer support, and meet government regulatory requirements. Unless you instruct us otherwise when you submit an order using our secure online server, we will add some or all of your contact information to our customer lists. From time to time, you may receive catalogs or e-mail notices from us describing publications we think may be of interest to you. We may also from time to time sell mailing lists (which would include your name and mailing address but not your e-mail address or telephone number) to others or exchange such lists with others, which may result in you receiving promotional materials from them. If you do not want to receive mailings from us or from those who use our mailing lists, please let us know by writing to the e-mail address or the postal address provided at the end of this notice.
Disclosure of Information
Information may be shared with contractors who directly support the Internet services we provide and who use the information only in accordance with this policy. In the normal course of business, we may share information with auditors, lawyers, or contractors, but we require that recipients use the information only for the purpose of the disclosure. When necessary or appropriate, we may disclose information in response to a court order or subpoena or when otherwise legally required. We may also disclose information if appropriate to protect our website or our legal rights, including but not limited to our right to enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use of this website.
1. The transmission of data or information over the Internet is not secure and is subject to possible loss, interception, or alteration while in transit. The University of Chicago Press does not assume any liability for any damage you may experience or costs you may incur as a result of any e-mail between you and us, or any transmissions between you and this website, including those that may contain your personal information.
3. This website may contain links to other sites, but The University of Chicago Press is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those sites.
4. We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of thirteen without prior verifiable parental consent. If we become aware that a site visitor under the age of thirteen has provided personal information without prior verifiable parental consent, we will remove his or her personally identifiable information from our files. Please note that we may maintain a record of that person’s name and address in a “do not register” file to prevent subsequent registration of that minor.